It was in 1898 under the encouragement and insistence of Dr. James Alfred Blum, a Confederate soldier, from Winston, North Carolina, that a number or ladies met at a social gathering and discussed the idea of organizing a chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy. The idea was met with enthusiasm. Mrs. J. A. Bitting suggested that the chapter be named after James B. Gordon, a North Carolina Brigadier General from North Wilkesboro. The charter for this chapter was issued March 30, 1898 and was signed by Mrs. Katie Cabell Currie, President General, and by Mrs. John B. Hickman, Secretary General. The twenty-four charter members were Mrs. J.A. Bitting, Mrs. J.G. Young, Mrs. H. Montague, Mrs. James Shepherd, Mrs. M.N. Williamson, Mrs. H. L. Riggins, Mrs. P.R. Casey, Mrs. S.H. Smith, Mrs. J.P. Fearrington, Mrs. B.B.Owens, Miss Carrie Shepherd, Mrs. G.A. Follin, Mrs. J.O. Margruder, Mrs. M.W. Norfleet, Mrs. W.T. Carter, Mrs. DeLoe Thomas, Mrs. S.R. Hay, Mrs. J.B. Whitaker, Jr., Mrs. J.H. Jefferson, Mrs. Clement Manly, Miss Lucretia Gorrell, Miss Bessie Smith, Miss May Barber and Miss Bessie Blum.
Mrs. John G. Young was elected President. She was succeeded at the end of the first year by Mrs. J.B. Whitaker, Jr., who served for six years. She tendered her resignation at the end of that time because she was leaving Winston to live in New York. Mrs. Whitaker gave much to the chapter, striving to rescue from oblivion the glorious deeds which our fathers achieved and to hold these deeds for posterity.
Since 1905 the following ladies have served as chapter presidents: Mrs. Clement Manly, Mrs. H.L. Riggins, Mrs. J. Montague, Mrs. C.L. Summer, Mrs. H.L. Riggins, Mrs. W.O. Spencer, Miss Nannie Dodson, Mrs. R.F. Reece, Mrs. Sam Harris, Mrs. Alvin Seippel, Mrs. W.E. Newsome, Mrs. A.L. Fishel, Mrs. Gilbert Ashburn, Mrs. Charles Weaver, and Mrs. Alvin Seippel.
In the early days of the chapter a movement was started to place a Confederate monument on the Court House Square. Dr. James Alfred Blum exhibited to the chapter a sketch of a Confederate private soldier for the proposed monument. It was approved and the order was placed. The monument was to be life size and not to cost over $3,000.00. Mrs. R.J. Reynolds and Mrs. James K. Norfleet each contributed $100.00.
A committee was appointed to communicate with other city residents and assist in helping to raise funds for this monument. The first moving picture ever shown in Winston-Salem was brought here by that committee. It was shown in the old armory which stood where the Reynolds Building now stands. Two years later on October 3, 1905 the monument placed on the court house square was unveiled.
The first year book was shown to the members for approval at the January 1904 meeting. The programs would be a study of different battles of the Civil War. It was approved and voted to place the order, but the cost was not to exceed twenty-five cents per copy.
The chapter furnished a room in the Confederate Soldiers Home in Raleigh. They named it the A.B. Gorrell Memorial Room in honor of one of the city’s former mayors. This room was kept up as a chapter project as long as the need for it existed.
On April 30, 1906 By Laws were adopted.
All memorial wreaths were made by a committee appointed by the Chapter President. After the business of the October 26, 1906 meeting, the President called on the Committee on Resolutions regarding the death of Mrs. Jefferson Davis. Their resolution was recorded in the minutes as follows:
Whereas, God, in His divine wisdom has seen fit to remove from this earthly life, the loved widow of the great chieftain and leader of our Confederacy. Whereas, her devotion to the Southern Cause, and love and loyalty to her noble husband titled her to record and to preserve to future generations that great chapter of history which her own family was so instrumental in making; And whereas, by reason of her high intellectual attainments she has rendered a conspicuous service to her people by leaving an imperishable memoirs of Jefferson Davis.
Therefore be it resolved that the James B. Gordon Chapter of the UDC feel it their duty to give some expression of their profound sorrow for the loss of one whose justly impersonated the cause when they cherish. And be it further resolved that the life and character and great attainments, no less than the fortitude of soul exhibited by Varina Howell Davis during her long and eventful life be cherished by us all and pointed to as a worthy example for the youth of the Southland. That this memorial be entered upon our minutes, published in the City papers, and that our Secretary transmit copies of the same to the State President.
Since approximately 1914 the chapter has given to the Bessie Beall Reid Bed Fund. This fund maintains a bed at the North Carolina Sanatorium in Black Mountain, the Eastern Sanatorium in Wilson, the North Carolina Sanatorium in McCain and the Gravely Sanatorium in Chapel Hill, N.C. These beds are used by descendants of Confederate Veterans who have tuberculosis.
Another chapter project is helping to look after the widows and daughters of Confederate Veterans at the Women’s Confederate Home in Fayettville, N.C. The chapter furnishes and maintains a double room in honor of the chapter. In 1928, Mrs. Douglas Craig presented a check for $1,000.00 to complete the Chapel at this home. Mrs. H.T. Bahnson and her two daughters, Mrs. James Gray and Mrs. Holt Haywood, gave the pews for this building in memory of their husband and father H.T. Bahnson.
In the early 1920’s the movie “Flight” was sponsored and shown at the Colonial Theater for the benefit of the chapter, to help finance their many benevolent projects.
Through the years the UDC has made many contributions to city, county, state and civic organization projects. In 1930 a contribution of fifty dollars was made for the Fort Fisher Memorial Monument located on the North Carolina Coast; and two dollars and fifty cents was given for the Jefferson Davis Marker at Fletcher, North Carolina, which is known as the Westminster Abbey of the South. The amount of fifty cents per member was collected and sent to the Stratford Committee for the home of Robert E. Lee and by 1934 the chapter had paid its entire quota. Thirty dollars was sent to Raleigh, North Carolina for the Memorial Pavilion (House of Memory,) at the Confederate Cemetery there.
It was recorded in the October, 1931 minutes, "A MOTION WAS MADE TO START NO NEW PROJECTS DURING THE DEPRESSION."
It was decided at the General Convention held in Baltimore in 1933 that, hence forth, in all meetings of the UDC, the Confederate Flag would be saluted immediately after the salute of the United States Flag. Mrs. James Parker of New York, and North Carolina made the motion which was unanimously adopted.
It was in this year, also, that the Confederate Veteran Magazine was discontinued after having been published for forty years.
Miss Ida Hinshaw, leader of the Children of the Confederacy, was the speaker for the April 1934 meeting. She gave a most interesting and informative talk on “Items of the Confederacy.” She told the story of the first Confederate Flag to be sent out of Forsyth County with the company commanded by Colonel Alfred Belo. The flag was made by young ladies in Salem. At the close of the War it was donated to the museum in Richmond.
Miss Jessie Lupo reported that the Children of The Confederacy had 10,000 members.
April, 1934 saw the beginning of the Mary Correll Riggins Confederate Loan Fund, which was started by the Executive Cornmittee of the chapter. By October, 1934, it had reached $1,288.00. In September, 1944, it was increased to $2,000.0. Five girls had used the fund during the short time it had been established. In September, 1957, it was raised to $3,000.00 by a gift of $300.00 from Mrs. Henry Fariss and a $30.00 gift from Mrs. R.P. Reece. Salem College discontinued the Secretarial Course and a committee was appointed to determine what should be done with the money in the fund. It was decided that it would be used to establish a library fund. The Confederate Library Fund was established by the James B. Gordon Chapter honoring President Mary Gorrell Riggins (Mrs. Henry) in the amount of $3,000. The interest from this fund was to be used to buy books concerning the South.
Money was also raised during 1934 to equip a radio shop for the needy grandson of a Confederate Veteran.
In October, 1935, the chapter received a gift of the painting, "Lee on Traveler", from J. Hampton Rich which he gave in memory of his father, Mr. William Chase Rich, who fought under General Robert E. Lee. It was framed and placed in the Carnegie Library.
In 1939, the Sons of the Confederate Veterans of Mississippi reported plans to reclaim Beauvoir, the home of Jefferson Davis, and to make it a shrine worthy of the President of the Confederacy. To help with this restoration, chapter members gave one dollar each so that their ancestors would be inscribed in the Book of Confederate Rememberance, which is kept at Beauvoir.
Mrs. Henry Riggins reported on the 1940 Sons of the Confederacy General Convention which was held in Washington, D. C. Over sixty veterans were in attendance. One was a Cherokee Indian who was 102 years old. It was an excellent convention in every way. North Carolina had a membership of 4,435 that year and the Children of the Confederacy membership totaled 8,000.
During 1940, contributions were sent to the Confederate Memorial Forest. The Pisgah National Forest gave the UDC one hundred and twenty-five acres with frontage on the great National Blue Ridge Scenic Parkway. There would be 125,000 spruce and balsam trees as a memorial to Confederate veterans. Contributions were five dollars for a chapter with over fifty members. For a contributions of one dollar, you could have a memorial to your Confederate ancestor.
A Cross of Honor was presented to Mr. D. S. Reid, the only living Confederate Veteran in Forsyth County.
Ten dollars was given for the monument to be erected at Gettysburg to General Longstreet and twenty dollars for the bust of Sidney Lanier in the Hall of Fame. Mrs. R. P. Reece attended the unveiling of the tablet and monument on Thursday, October 3, 1940.
So much interest was shown in the project of the Jefferson Davis Highway that a chorus was written about it.
The trail is long and winding and the road is fair to see. 'Tis the Jefferson Davis Highway and was built for you And me. We built it with hope and courage and with love and harmony. The long, long trail that's winding through the land of the UDC."
Framed Jefferson Davis Highway maps were given to the Richard J. Reynolds High School and to the Carnegie Library.
The James B. Gordon Chapter did not meet the years during World War II except on special occasions. These meetings were held at the Presbyterian Church on Cherry Street.
In March, 1946, the meetings were resumed. Miss Ida Hinshaw gave a report on the plans of the Thomas Jethro Brown Chapter, the children's chapter. They had become a strong chapter, taking many state prized. This year, they send one dollar to each person at the Soldier’s Home and to each lady at the Confederate Women’s Home. For Thanksgiving, they planned to prepare twenty-three baskets for the needy, and for Christmas, they already had under preparation one hundred small gifts.
At the February meeting in 1946, Dr. Douglas Rights was the guest speaker. His talk was "Salem in the War between the States." in the closing days of the War the Salem Academy was so much in need of food that Robert de Schweinitz of the Moravian Church and Sheriff Augustus Fogle, with written permission from Governor Vance, made repeated trips throughout the county seeking whatever food was available. At the close of the War, Salem was invaded by Union soldiers of the Tenth Ohio Cavalry, who came in as the army of occupation with a colorful ceremony. The U.S. Flag was raised above the Forsyth County Court House.
At the 175th Anniversary of Salem, Mrs. James Gray and Mrs. T. Holt Haywood gave to the Salem Library a complete work of Sidney Lanier, edited by Johns Hopkins Library, where he was a professor. It was given in honor of their father, H.T. Bahnson, who was a Confederate doctor.
An easy chair was given to the Confederate Women's Home in Fayetteville by Miss Alice Gray and Mrs. Gordon Gray.
In 1950, five dollars was sent to Weaverville for the restoration of the Zebulan Baird Vance Home. One dollar and twenty-five cents per member was given for the Lee Memorial Window in the Washington Cathedral in Washington, D. C. Boxes of blankets contributed by the Chatham Manufacturing Company, valued at seventy-five dollars, and boxes of preserves given by Garner and Company were sent to the Confederate Women's Home for Christmas.
Plans concerning the Memorial Building to be erected in Richmond, Virginia, were discussed with enthusiasm. As a starter for the fund, the city of Richmond contributed $10,000 as did the UDC. By 1952 the chapter had paid $446.00 which was about half their quota. Mrs. Riggins and Mrs. Fariss gave $60.00 to the Fund in honor of Mrs. L.B. Newell, Honorary President of the UDC. Bernard Baruch donated 9,000 Stone Mountain half dollars. The cost of making these coins was $82.00. They were sold for $2.50 each. The proceeds went to the Memorial Building.
Chapter member, Mrs. H.G. Paschal was nominated to attend the ceremony when the ground was broken for the Memorial Building on April 18, 1955. In 1957, the building was dedicated. It was constructed of white marble, seated eight hundred people and cost $350,000.00. The bronze doors were given by the Children of the Confederacy. The James B. Gordon Chapter had paid their quota in full.
Mrs. R.P. Reece, Mrs. Elizabeth Croom, and Mrs. Roy Peters reported on the many highlights of the last reunion of the Confederate Veterans, which was held in Norfolk, Virginia on May 30, 1951. The reunion included the opening of the museum which was made out of the prison were Jefferson Davis was held incarcerated, there-enactment of the battle between the Merrimac and the Monitor was witnessed, as was a wonderful parade. The veterans received many telegrams from all over the United States.
Through the efforts of Mrs. Riggins, President, money was raised and a granite marker with the inscription “To Our Confederate Dead” was placed in the Salem Cemetery where thirty- six Confederate Soldiers are buried.
The James B. Gordon Chapter hosted the North Carolina Division Convention, which was very successful in every way and well attended by the Daughters.
At the September, 1955, meeting, Miss Margaret Poindexter gave a very interesting program on the Hall of Fame, which is located on the campus of New York University. At this time, there were eighty-three people in the Hall of Fame. Among them were General Robert E. Lee, elected in 1900, Mathew Fontaine Maury, in 1930, and Sidney Lanier, in 1945. Stonewall Jackson was a candidate for election.
The book, They Called Him Stonewall by Burke Davis was discussed and the members were urged not to read or to buy it, because it was not true history.
Mrs. W.O. Spencer, a past division officer and chapter president, was elected the Mother of the Year.
It was announced that plans have been made for the completion of the carving on Stone Mountain near Atlanta.
One of the most interesting programs for the year 1957 was given by Mrs. M.O. Jackson, who gave a talk on the horses of famous Confederate heroes. Some were Traveler, owned by General Robert E. Lee; Old Sorrel, owned by General Stonewall Jackson; Gray Alice, owned by General Robert Tombs; Marye, owned by General John B. Gordon; Butler, owned by General Wade Hampton; and Old Whitie, owned by President Zachary Taylor.
In preparation for the Centennial of the War Between the States, the battlefield of Bentonville, where the last and bloodiest battle was fought in North Carolina, was to be restored. A contribution of $28.30 was sent for the restoration.
It was voted that Mrs. R.P. Reece be made “Honorary Member” of the chapter.
1958 brought another interesting chapter meeting. Mrs. Robert Lanier gave an interesting talk on the life of her father-in-law, Sidney Lanier. Sidney Lanier, the outstanding composer and poet, could play musical instruments before he could read. Among other things found in the Lanier home, in a trunk was an unfinished symphony.
It was with great pride that the UDC received the news that a bronze bust of General Stonewall Jackson had been unveiled at the Hall of Fame at the New York University. It was unveiled by his three great great granddaughters, Julia McAfee, Trudy Shaffner and Julia Christian Creech of Winston-Salem.
The Reynolds High School Band requested a Confederate flag. Mrs. Alvin Seippel, President, was proud to present to them from the chapter, a three by five foot flag at the first football game of the 1959 season.
Mrs. Randolph Preston, granddaughter of Stonewall Jackson and an honorary member of the James B. Gordon Chapter, was to be the guest speaker for the February, 1960 meeting, but she was ill and could not attend. However, she sent her talk recorded on tape and it was enjoyed by everyone.
It was during this years that the REAL DAUGHTERS CLUB was organized on the State and General Level.
In June, 1960 a new project was started by the chapter--the compiling of tape recordings on Southern History for the fifth and seventh grades of the city schools.
The members voted to buy the Britannica film strip of the War Between the States and presented it to the city schools in January, 1961.
Mrs. A.L. Ashburn, Chairman of the Committee on Gravestone Records and Confederate Monuments, reported that her committee was trying to complete the list of Confederate dead buried in Forsyth County and the cemeteries in which they were buried. Also, she was completing the pictures of monuments and markers located in Forsyth County.
The Mayor of Winston-Salem issued a proclamation for the opening of the Centennial of the War Between the States.
The chapter approved the idea of starting a scholarship honoring the Forsyth County Confederate Soldiers. It was voted to sell Confederate flags, as had been done successfully in the past. One hundred and fifty dollars was made.
Mr. Norman Larson, Executive Secretary of the North Carolina State Confederate Centennial Commission, was the guest speaker at the February meeting. He informed us of the commissions plans for the following four years and what they hoped to accomplish.
The opening of the Centennial was held in Raleigh on May 19th and 20th, 1961. This date was chosen because North Carolina seceded from the Union on May 20, 1861.
Governor Terry Sanford appointed Mrs. Alvin Seippel to serve on the Confederate Centennial Commission for two years.
Each county had a Centennial Belle. Miss Robin Reynolds was chosen to represent Forsyth County. The James B. Gordon Chapter entertained at a luncheon for all the Belles and their escorts. It was held in the Elizabeth Room at the Sir Walter Hotel in Raleigh. This was done by the generosity of interested ladies in our chapter and city. Miss Juanita Masten and Mrs. Alvin Seippel attended the luncheon.
A “Civil War” trailer was brought to Winston-Salem and its exhibits were displayed at the schools. The trailer was sent on request to schools all over the United States.
Reporting from the Division Convention, held in Asheville, Mrs. Seippel announced that Mrs. A.L. Ashburn, state historian, was acclaimed by all other state officers for the exceptional manner in which she had conducted, directed and accomplished in performing the duties of her office. The chapter historian, Mrs. Hal Blackstock, had received a silver cup and honor for her chapter for having excelled in essay writing. The chapter took home many awards in all areas of work. Mrs. Benbow’s niece, Pamela, won a cup for the best essay on Confederate History written by a student.
Invitations to see the U.S. Army “Civil War” Centennial exhibit, to be opened February 6, 1962 in Raleigh, were received by the chapter. The collection included an army exhibit which showed the military significance of the “Civil War” and the L.C. Rosser collection of Currier and Ives prints, which depicted North Carolina’s part in the war. It also included manuscripts and a collection of small arms. The exhibit was brought to the Winston Salem Public Library and arrangements were made for each school to see it.
Miss May Speer donated fifty dollars to the scholarship fund and fifty dollars to the R.J. Reynolds High School in honor of the chapter and in memory of her great uncle Lieutenant Colonel William M. Asbury Speer, who was killed at Rams Station.
Mrs. Alvin Seippel gave to the Reynolds Library “N.C. Women of the Confederacy” by Mrs. John Huske Anderson, in memory of her grandfather, Dr. James Alfred Blum.
Mr. George Clinard, who was ninety-two years of age in 1962, had attended the May 10th Memorial Services at the Confederate Plot in the Salem Cemetery for the past sixty-seven years. He was presented a Jefferson Davis Medal at the 8:00 a.m., May 10th Memorial Service.
The buying of a president’s pin, to be worn by each president, and at the end of her office to be given to the incoming president, was approved.
Thirty-seven dollars was given to the Microfilm Fund to help purchase five hundred and eighty rolls of microfilms from the National Archives in Washington, D.C. They were placed in the Memorial Building in Richmond.
The chapter received from the Forsyth County Centennial Committee an invitation to the Centennial Muscale, which was held at the Women’s Club on October 30th. The decor, dress, and music was as it was a hundred years ago. Mrs. George Corby, pianist arranged the program.
“Front Rank”, written by Glenn Tucker, was published by the Centennial Commission. Mr. Tucker gave the writing of the book as his contribution to the Centennial. The Daughters were urged to buy it as it will be the only copy and will increase in value.
The 1962 General Convention, held in Richmond, announced that a chapter had been organized in Alaska. It is also interested to note, that there is a chapter in Paris, France with fourteen members.
The following contributions to the scholarship fund were made in 1963: Mrs. Gilbert Ashburn and Mrs. A.L. Ashburn gave $75.00 in memory of Mr. A.L. Ashburn; Mrs. A.L. Ashburn and Mrs. A.C. Chamberlain gave $20.00 in memory of Mrs. J.S. Bergman; and Miss Polly Poindexter gave $25.00 in honor of her sister, Miss Margaret Poindexter.
Mrs. Hunter Byerly and a committee of volunteers reported that the project of recording the Confederate ancestry of each member, past and present, of the James B. Gordon Chapter had been completed. This information will be sent to Mr. Louis Manarin, who was compiling a roster of the North Carolina troops.
The chapter had also made a list of all Real Daughters who have belonged to the chapter. A list of living Real Daughters, with their Confederate ancestors, his company and regiment, were sent to Mrs. L.B. Newell, who is organizing a Real Daughter’s Club on the General level.
Mrs. Hunter Byerly presented the chapter with a filing cabinet for the Registrar’s papers in memory of her mother, Mrs. T.E. Ratcliff.
A memorial tribute to Miss Ida Hinshaw, a Real Daughter and leader of the Thomas Jethro Brown Chapter of the Children of the Confederacy, was given by Mr. W.O. Spencer.
The November 22, 1963 meeting opened with a silent prayer for the President of the United States, John F. Kennedy, who had been shot. Mrs. T. Holt Haywood, a Real Daughter, was the speaker. She gave a memorable review of her father’s diary, “Days of the War--1863-1865” He was Dr. Henry T. Bahnson. He had only sad, gloomy recollections of the war.
It was an honor for the chapter that Governor Sanford reappointed Mrs. Alvin Seippel to serve on the Centennial Commission for the War Between the States for the next two years.
Mrs. W.O. Spencer, an honorary president, was made an honorary member of the chapter.
The Lee-Jackson Banquet, held at the Forsyth Country Club in January, 1964, was a huge success. The profit went to the scholarship fund. The banquet was an annual event for four years. At this banquet boxes of Confederate notes were on sale. The original sketches of these notes were by A.C. Blum, Artist, and the history of each sketch was written by Mrs. Alvin Seippel. The notes tell the History of North Carolina’s part in the War Between the States.
The year brought many wonderful speakers. Dr. C.E. Rozzelle spoke on “The Battle of the Wilderness”, one of Lee’s victories for the South. Mr. Carlton West, the Librarian at Wake Forest College, spoke on Wade Hampton, Mrs. Odell Mathews spoke on the “Battle of Atlanta”, and Mrs. Kenneth Greenfield, on “The Life of John B. Gordon.”
The Norfleet Camp of the Sons of the Confederate Veterans gave twenty-five dollars to the scholarship fund. The second Lee-Jackson Banquet was held, netting $356.77 for the scholarship fund.
The Centennial drew to a close in 1965. Mrs. Alvin Seippel attended the Battle of Averasboro and the dedication of the museum and marker at the Bentonville Battleground.
The James B. Gordon Chapter was host to the fourth district meeting, which was held at the Hotel Robert E. Lee. It was well attended.
Mr. McLean Mitchell was guest speaker for the May meeting, and his subject was the lift of P.G.T. Beauregard.
The Jefferson Davis Luncheon was held at the Women’s Club. In honor of Jefferson Davis, three Jefferson Davis medals were presented to Mr. Alvin Seippel and Mr. Carlton West, two northern gentlemen, for their many hour of volunteer work during the Centennial, and to Mrs. Alvin Seippel for her leadership during the Centennial on the county and state level.
The members were asked to contribute to the printing of a new North Carolina Roster, 1861-1865 by Louis Manarin. The North Carolina General Assembly appropriated $25,000 to be given if a like amount was raised from private sources. Mrs. Hal Blackstock, Mrs. A.L. Ashburn, Mrs. Ralph Blum, Mr. and Mrs. Alvin Seippel and other volunteers had assisted in searching the Division Recorder of Crosses Files and copying each Confederate ancestor. These names were sent to Mr. Manarin to be included in the roster.
Mrs. Blackstock and Mrs. A.L. Ashburn completed this work by making a cross index file of Confederate ancestors and recipients of the Cross of Military Service. This was donated to the office of the North Carolina Division Recorder of Crosses. In recognition and appreciation of their work, the division presented each of them with a twenty-five dollar check, which they in turn contributed to the scholarship fund.
Reports of the 1966 Lee-Jackson Banquet held at the Forsyth Country Club were made. Although it was a cold, snowy night the attendance was fair and $235.00 was cleared for the scholarship fund.
A memorial service was held for Mrs. J.R. Hastings, Mrs. T.S. Fleshman, Mrs. Agnew Bahnson, Mrs. J.L. Lewis, and Mrs. T.M. Edwards.
Reports from the North Carolina Convention were given and it was announced that Mrs. Alvin Seippel had attained the highest honor that the division could bestow by being elected State Division President. Mrs. Robert Morgan was elected Division Secretary.
In May, 1967, the chapter gave a beautiful tea honoring Mrs. Alvin Seippel, N.C. Division President, and Mrs. Robert Morgan, N.C. Division Secretary. The tea was given at the home of Mrs. W.E. Newsome. Members from all over the state were invited. The honorees were each given a historical book, which was signed by those present. This year the Division Convention was held in Southern Pines, and the General Convention was held in Hot Springs, Arkansas. North Carolina won the prize for the best division report and many other awards.
The 1968 N.C. Division voted to raise funds to build a Record Room to house the valuable papers, books, and artifacts of our organization. Each member was asked to make a voluntary contribution of five dollars. Personal donations totaled $264.00.
On May 10th, Mrs. A.L. Fishel and Mrs. W.D. Sloan were on the “Today at Home” television program. Artifacts were shown and the history of Confederate Memorial Day was given.
The chapter presented Mrs. A.L. Fishel with a President’s Pin and thanked her for serving the James B. Gordon Chapter.
The North Carolina Convention was held in Winston-Salem at the Robert E. Lee Hotel. It was an acclaimed success by all who attended.
Throughout the years, the chapter has been indebted to Miss Margaret Norman, who has done an excellent job as Corresponding Secretary and Mrs. J.J. Harris as Treasurer.
In February, 1969, the chapter entertained the families of men in Vietnam at the American Legion Home on Miller Street.
Miss Agness Dodson and Miss Nannie Dodson presented the chapter with three silk flags and their gold staffs and holders. They were the United States flag, the Confederate Stars and Bars Flag and the North Carolina State Flag. They also presented the Fourth District with a three by five foot North Carolina Flag. These were presented in memory of their mother, Mrs. James C. Dodson.
It was decided at the N.C. Convention, held in Salisbury, that each member would be assessed two dollars each for the next five years for the Record Room.
In May 1970, the Daughters were given a special invitation to attend the convention and banquet of the Norfleet Camp Sons of the Confederate Veterans. The chapter was offered a percentage of the ticket sales from the banquet for their scholarship fund. Their percentage totaled $130.00.
The program for 1970 concentrated on the different states and their part in the War Between the States. Mr. Frank Spencer, from the Journal and Sentinel, gave an interesting program on the postal system during the war. John Regan, Postmaster General, not only was able to deliver the mail, but to make a profit as well. Mr. Spencer exhibited a valuable collection of postage stamps from that period.
Mr. and Mrs. Kapp Ogburn gave the chapter $450.00 for the scholarship fund on the condition that the members give a like amount. The ladies matched it with $545.00, meeting, at last, the goal of $5,000.00. The Scholarship fund was realized and by using the interest from this amount the UDC was then able to offer assistance to some boy or girl with their education.
The chapter voted unanimously to name the scholarship the Janet Blum Seippel Scholarship, endowed by the James B. Gordon Chapter of the Confederacy, honoring the Confederate Soldiers from Forsyth County.
It was with sadness that the chapter learned that the Hotel Robert E. Lee was to be demolished. An oil portrait of Robert E. Lee, given to the hotel by the James B. Gordon Chapter had graced the hotel’s lobby for many years. It was returned to the chapter and stored in the home of Mrs. Alvin Seippel.
Memorial gifts honoring the late Mr. Peter Wilson Blum, Sr. in the amount of $325.00 were added to the Janet Blum Seippel Scholarship.
Some of the interesting programs and speakers for 1971 were Robert Allgood who told us “Stories Told to Me by My Grandfather.” Miss Agnes Dodson presented “Why the Daughters of the Confederacy?”. Mrs. O.F. Griffith, Jr. presented “Forsyth County During the War Between the States.”
Donna Lynn Jarvis was announced to be the first recipient of the Janet Blum Seippel Scholarship. Donna Lynn is a lineal descendant of Tenison Jarvis, who served in Company D of the 57th North Carolina Regiment. Donna is attending the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. During the year Donna received another scholarship which was adequate, so the chapter re-awarded their to Miss Alice Vogler, who is a lineal descendant of John Emory Vogler who served with the North Carolina troops in Company G of the 75th Regiment. She is attending the University of North Carolina at Greensboro.
Mrs. Ernest Meiere, Chairman of the Record Room Committee, asked that each chapter buy a page in the Memory Book, honoring outstanding members of the chapter. The cost of a page was $100.00 and the proceeds would go to the Record Room Fund. The James B. Gordon chapter voted to purchase a page honoring Mrs. Alvin Seippel, North Carolina Division President from 1967 through 1968.
In 1972, petitions were circulated and signed recommending that Jefferson Davis be placed in the Hall of Fame.
The General Convention of the Children of the Confederacy met in Wilmington and the chapter sent ten dollars to help buy favors.
Among the outstanding programs and speakers of the year were Mrs. Peter Blum III who told of the life of General James B. Gordon for whom the Chapter was named, and Mrs. Charles Weaver who spoke on Bishop Ellison Capers, who wrote the prayer used by the Daughters of the Confederacy that includes their Ritual.
The following members have held Division offices: Mrs. H.L. Riggins, Honorary President, First Vice-President and Registrar; Mrs. W.O. Spencer, Second Vice-President; Mrs. Peter Gorrell, Second Vice-President; Mrs. J.K. Norfleet, First Vice-President; Mrs. R.P. Reece, Registrar and Second Vice-President; Miss Nannie Dodson, Recorder of the Crosses; Mrs. Eugene Thomas Robeson, Historian; Mrs. Elizabeth F. Croom, Recording Secretary; Mrs. A.L. Ashburn, Historian; Mrs. Alvin Seippel, Recorder of the Crosses, and Division President; and Mrs. Robert Morgan, Recording Secretary.
* * * * * *
On March 30, 1973, seventy-five years of history will have been recorded by the James B. Gordon Chapter, whose members have faithfully served the North Carolina Division and the General organization, working together for their Historical, Educational, Benevolent, Memorial and Patriotic Objectives.
* * * * * *
All information taken from the minutes of the James B. Gordon Chapter.
HISTORY OF THE JAMES B. GORDON CHAPTER UNITED DAUGHTERS OF THE CONFEDERACY