April 4, 1920, Winston-Salem Journal


The Salem coffee pot greeted the great throng of visitors yesterday with added grace and dignity.  Some
time ago it was blown down and remained prostrate for several weeks.  But it was not long destined to
remain a fallen hero.

This sign [illegible] monument, now stands ready to meet assailing storms with an added security.  A
concrete base was laid and in this a large iron pipe cemented.  A study beam inserted in this pipe
supports the coffee pot.  A coat of red paint gives the silent monitor a cheery appearance and renders it
much more attractive.

Time has woven an interesting fabric of romance around the coffee pot.  It is reputed in many quarters to
stand on the dividing line between Winston and Salem, but the boundry [sic] happens to be an entire
block above Belews street where it is located.  Another interesting tale has it that during the war between
the states a Confederate soldier, fleeing from his pursuers, climbed up in the coffee pot and thus escaped
from his foes.

**This article was edited**


October 10, 1920, Winston-Salem Journal


For the second time since the new year came in the Salem coffee pot has been hurled from its upright
position and brought down to the street.  The first time it fell was a few weeks before Easter and the force
that wrought such great violence to this ancient and well-known landmark was the wind.  The second
crash came yesterday about noon and was due to the sudden impact of a Ford automobile.

Who was driving the car could not be learned.  It appeared that he was forced to turn quickly to avoid
another automobile and landed with terrific force against the pedestal of the coffee pot before he could
divert his machine into another direction.  The beam supporting the coffee pot is about six inches square
and it was broken off.  When the support was erected in the spring after the coffee pot was blown down by
the wind, it was inserted in a large iron pipe that had been rigidly secured in the ground with concrete.  
The foundation was badly shattered by the impact of the car and will have to be reconstructed when the
coffee pot is again placed in position.

When the coffee pot was blown down in the spring, there were many anxious inquiries as to when it would
be replaced.  Many citizens were insistent that it be erected before Easter that the great crowds expected
for that season might see the monument once more.  Happily it was repaired in time for the annual spring
festival.  No doubt there will be many now who will insist that the coffee pot be speedily restored to its
customary altitude as a silent sentinel and historic landmark.

**This article has been edited**


November 1, 1929, Winston-Salem Journal

                             BOMB DAMAGES BIG COFFEE POT

The old coffee pot, the landmark at Belews and South Main Streets, last night was badly damaged, the
result of a home-made bomb set off by a small boy as a Halloween prank.  The coffee pot is owned by
William N. and Eugene Vogler, and will be repaired today.

Believed to have been the work of a small boy who thought the prank one of humorous proportions, the
bomb was pretty thoroughly prepared with dynamite, chunks of rock and probably some [illegible].  A fuse
was affixed to the bomb, which was wrapped in paper, tied with stout cord and [illegible].

One woman is said to have seen a small boy climb out of the lower part of the coffee pot and run west on
Belews Street to Liberty Street.  The explosion was heard in a few moments.

Although the bomb was the work of an amateur, its work was almost perfect insofar as noise and damage
are concerned.  The explosion ripped the top off the coffee pot and it in turn tore the handle from the side
of the huge vessel.  The west side of the tin object was ripped open, given a fair view of the interior.

The coffee pot, which has been a landmark in Winston-Salem for many years and has been pointed out to
visitors and tourists numerous times, was erected about 1850 by the late Julius E. Mickey, a tinner and
butcher.  Mr. Mickey had his store in the building that stood on the southwest corner of Belews and Main
Streets in what was then Salem.  The coffee pot was originally intended as an advertisement by Mr.
Mickey, indicating that he could build or repair pots and pans of all descriptions.

Several year ago, Will and Gene Vogler purchased the property at the corner of Main and Belews Street
and have since kept the coffee pot in repair.

**This article has been edited**